Sterling Ruby makes richly glazed biomorphic ceramics, large-scale spray-painted canvases, poured urethane sculptures, nail polish drawings, various forms of collage, and hypnotic videos. His work is a form of assault on both materials and social power structures. He takes his subject matter from a wide range of sources, including marginalized societies, maximum security prisons, modernist architecture, artifacts and antiquities, graffiti, bodybuilders, the mechanisms of warfare, cults and cult members, and urban gangs.
Sterling Ruby (b. 1972) lives and works in Los Angeles. He holds a BFA from The Art Institute of Chicago and an MFA from the Art Center College of Design, Pasadena CA.
|Marginal Editions /
Ten Marginal Years
|Highways Connect and Divide||2011||Gallery|
|The Pencil Show||2010||Gallery|
|The Infinite Fill Show||2004||Gallery|
- Taft, Catherine. "Body: Ruby's Meaty, Skeletal, Organic, Sexualized, Messy Works Speak to the Gravity of the Human Condition." Kaleidoscope Summer 2016: 145-159.
- Lesser, Casey. "On the Heels of a Stellar Year in the West, Sterling Ruby Makes His Vivid Mark on Asia." Artsy. 25 Sept. 2014. Web.
- Baltimore Museum of Art. "Sterling Ruby: Front Room." 3 Mar - 15 May 2014.
- Turnball, Joe. "Sterling Ruby - EXHM at Hauser & Wirth." The Upcoming. 26 Mar. 2013. Web.
- Soulez, Juliette. “A Hard Look at ‘Soft Work,’ Sterling Ruby’s Cushy and Satirical Solo Exhibition in France.” Artinfo. 5 June 2012. Web.
- Spalding, David. "Sterling Ruby's Vampire." Art Agenda. 8 Nov. 2011. Web.
- Johnson, Ken. "Sterling Ruby and Lucio Fontana." The New York Times. 22 Sept. 2011: C31.
- Hruska, Jordan. "Los Angeles, City of Artists." The New York Times. 20 May. 2011. Web.
- Ribas, João. “Sterling Ruby: Sincerely Hostile.” Flash Art Int. XLIII.271. Mar.-Apr. 2010: 80-84.
- Russeth, Andrew. "Sterling Ruby in New York." Artinfo. 6 Nov. 2009. Web.
- Myers, Julian. "Who is Sterling Ruby?" Frieze. Apr. 2009: 98-101.
- Kaiser, Philip. "Sterling Ruby: Analytical Expressionisms." Supermax. Los Angeles: The Museum of Contemporary Art, 2008. 15-18.
- Smith, Roberta. "Sterling Ruby." The New York Times. 21 Mar. 2008: E29.
- Orden, Abraham. “The Minute.” artnet. 7 May 2007. Web.
- Myers, Holly. "Shape Shifter." Art Review. 6. Dec. 2006: 52-56.
- Holte, Michael Ned. "Sterling Ruby: Marc Foxx." Artforum. 1 Dec. 2006: 315 - 316
- Holte, Michael Ned. “Sterling Ruby.” 2006 California Biennial. Oct. 2006: 136-139.
- Wagner, James. “Sterling Ruby.” JamesWagner.com. 22 Jan. 2005. Web.